Saturday, September 03, 2011

The Oncoming Puss In Boots

... of which director Chris Miller says:

"It's not a send-up of fairy tales. Our approach was, you thought you knew how all of those fairy stories went, but they went this way. Then from there, let's make sure the characters are driving the comedy and story, steer away from the popular culture references and make it a real character piece."

So in other words, it has Shrek characters in it, but less of the Shrek sensibility.

The studio is just now wrapping production on PiB. (A month ago, there were sixty animators on the feature in the final, mad dash to the finish line.) The artists I've talked to think it's solid, but it's often difficult for people in the middle of a production to see how well the different moving parts fit together. As Slash Film noted months back:

Puss in Boots smacked me in the face.I can’t tell you how excited I am to see more of the movie. It doesn’t even feel like a spin-off — from the footage I screened, Puss seems like a stand-alone movie in its own right. ...

Or as Peter Sciretta says in the linked video: "... It's not a money grab."

Of course, how the global marketplace takes to a feline with plumed hat and sword, and a talking egg sidekick, remains to be seen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very much looking forward to this. Why do I think it'll take DW into a fun and darker direction?

Anonymous said...

It has only one "Shrek character" in it-Puss.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I hope it'll be as good as what Toei Doga did back in '69.

Anonymous said...

I hope its good, but it looks crap (meaning, ugly Dreamworks-esque humans)

Anonymous said...

It certainly can't be WORSE than that toei dogs kiddie crap Japanese cartoon. Even as a kid I knew that was bad.

Anonymous said...

Sooooooooo

The movie takes place in the Shrek universe, but it doesn't feature neither Shrek, Donkey or Fiona????? Booooriiiingggggg

Anonymous said...

Dreamworks will keep rolling along making animation for world to enjoy while most other studios will hang on by their teeth. The studio has numerous projects IN PRODUCTION! and yes they are BEING ANIMATED ON,INCLUDING A 2D hyprid FILM. Catch up if you can!. I am sure Puss in Boots will do well.wait for it.wait for it......

Anonymous said...

I heard Me and My Shadow got cancelled

And what "other" studios are you talking about? Pixar? Blue Sky? Disney is doing much much better nowadays so I can only assume you mean Sony.

Sooooooo, if you're saying DW is doing better than Sony, thanks for pointing out a factoid no one cares about, nor denies.

Anonymous said...

The cancellation rumor on "Me and My Shadow" is bullshit

Site Meter