Friday, January 16, 2015

Walt Peregoy - RIP


Goodbye, Mr. Peregoy.

Prez Emeritus Tom Sito writes:

The wonderful Walt Peregoy has left us.

One of the last great designers on 101 Dalmatians. He was fun to be around. He ran counter to the image of that disney artist " Aw-shucks, gee-whiz" gentility. A real salty dog, whose language could make a sailor blush, which is probably why he was not interviewed more.

But he was proud to be a Disney artist, proud of his achievements, and demanded respect for his talent. He encouraged other young artists not to feel bad or be intimidated because they had talent. If you're good, dammit, let the world know,

RIP Walt, a well deserved rest.

I knew Mr. Peregoy as a kid (he came to my folks' house quite a lot) and he never changed: feisty, outspoken, highly opinionated, that was Walt.

Like for instance here. And here. Also here.

When I walked into Walt's house four years ago to record the interchange directly above, I hadn't seen Mr. Peregoy in years and didn't know what to expect. But I found out real fast.

I had been in his sunny den for all of ninety seconds. We exchanged pleasantries, I snapped on my recorder, and off Walt went.

You can hear the results for yourself.

I was doing a lot of interviews with animation artists right then, all of which are still up on line. Mr. Peregoy's Q & A, hands down, is the one that has elicited the most reaction and comment these past four years.

Listen to ten minutes of it, you'll understand why.

0 comments:

Site Meter